Lane Powell has more than 145 years of commitment to our communities. As part of our continued commitment to diversity, we proudly announce the opening of our George V. Powell Diversity Scholarship. The George V. Powell Scholar will be a 2023 Summer Associate in the firm’s Seattle or Portland office and will receive a $7,500.00 scholarship to be used toward tuition and expenses, which will be provided to the fellow at the conclusion of the 2023 Summer Associate Program.
Academic Requirements and Selection Criteria
We are seeking candidates who will contribute meaningfully to the diversity of the legal community and who have a demonstrated desire to work, live, and eventually practice law in Seattle or Portland. The candidates’ academic achievements and record of leadership abilities, community service, and involvement in community issues will be taken into consideration. Candidates must be second-year law students in good standing at an ABA accredited law school. Candidates in four-year joint degree programs will be considered after their third-year.
Application Procedures and Materials
All application materials must be submitted as a PDF. It is recommended that candidates add a header or footer to each page of their materials clearly identifying their first and last name. Please provide the following materials:
- A 1-2 page personal statement, single-spaced, indicating your eligibility to participate in the Program. We encourage you to discuss how you have, or would contribute to diversity and inclusion matters in the community.
- Cover letter (please indicate your connection to the Pacific Northwest)
- Current copy of law school transcript (unofficial copies are acceptable)
- Legal writing sample, unedited by a third-party and no more than 10 pages in length
- List of two or three professional or academic references
The application period for the George V. Powell Diversity Scholarship has closed.