Areas of Practice
Vicki Smith has an eclectic trial practice grounded in the belief that significant jury trial experience is imperative to achieve the best results for clients in litigation matters, whether the matters are settled or tried. Thus, Vicki has had jury trials in a variety of substantive areas involving: products liability, contracts, torts, property, maritime claims, intellectual property, business torts, insurance, fraud, consumer claims and employer’s liability. Vicki has tried jury cases both as defense counsel and as plaintiff’s counsel. She has tried cases for corporate clients in the industries of manufacturing, retail, transportation, insurance, health care, and hospitality. Vicki primarily represents business clients, but also regularly handles pro bono matters for indigent individuals, including litigating before the Social Security Administration and a jury trial on behalf of an indigent individual.
Admitted to Practice
- American University, Washington D.C. (J.D., 1985)
- American University Law Review (1983-85)
- University of Oregon (B.A., 1980)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Practice Group and Specialty Team Memberships
- Admirality and Maritime
- Health Care
- Labor and Employment
- Long Term Care and Seniors Housing Client Service Team
- Products Liability and Mass Torts Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Railroad and Mass Transportation
- Real Estate Litigation
Representative Matters and Clients
- Represented farm equipment manufacturer in products liability case involving multi-million dollar brain injury claims.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in workplace death litigation.
- Represented major retail dealerships in a series of multi-million dollar claims involving consumer financing practices.
- Represented major manufactured home company in significant claims involving alleged mold-related personal injuries.
- Represented Fortune 1000 consumer products company in multi-million dollar lawsuit involving its claims handling practices.
- Represented equipment supplier in a series of construction cases involving multiple deaths from the collapse of an airport parking structure.
- Represented two of the defendants involved in litigation arising out of a major apartment fire resulting in eight deaths and multiple injury claims.
- Represented local community media organization in multi-million dollar claims involving public access to broadcasting rights.
- Represented tavern in dramshop case involving deaths of two children.
- Represented major chain restaurant in dramshop case involving multi-death vehicle accident.
- Represented vehicle manufacturer in wrongful death case involving crash worthiness of vehicle.
- Represented individual against million dollar undue influence and elder abuse claims.
- Represented Fortune 1000 retail seller in investigation of company practices by Department of Justice.
- Represented nursing home professional in administrative dispute concerning licensing.
- Have represented both the plaintiff and defense sides of matters involving defamation claims.
Awards and Honors
- Named as one of The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, Product Liability Litigation (2012-2014)
- Peer Review Rated “AV” in Martindale-Hubbell
- Named as an Oregon “Super Lawyer,” Oregon Super Lawyers, General Litigation (2006-2009)
Professional and Community Activities
- Legal Aid Board Member (1994-2003)
- Campaign for Equal Justice Advisory Committee (1990-Present)
- Campaign for Equal Justice Board Member (2004-Present)
- Executive Committee, US District Court Historical Society (2004-Present)
- Executive Committee/Board Member, Lane Powell PC (2003-2005)
- Member, Multnomah Bar Association