Areas of Practice
Tom’s practice emphasizes business transactions and general corporate matters with special focus on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions, joint ventures and cross-border business acquisitions. Tom represents both U.S. and foreign-based buyers and sellers of private and public companies. He serves as chair of Lane Powell’s Corporate Finance and Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Group.
Admitted to Practice
- New York University (LL.M. in Taxation, 1979)
- Gonzaga University (J.D., magna cum laude, 1978)
- Seattle University (B.A., summa cum laude, 1975)
Practice Group and Specialty Team Membership
- Member, Lane Powell Board of Directors (2012-2014)
- Director, Business Transactions Department
- Co-chair, Corporate Finance and Securities Practice Group
- Co-chair, Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Group
- Canada Practice
- Financial Institutions
- Food, Beverage and Hospitality
- International Business
- Real Estate
- Startups and Emerging Companies
- Sale by Nordstrom, Inc. (NYSE: JWN) of Faconnable SAS to M1 Global
- Sale by KAREC FCI, Inc. of a majority interest in Kennedy Associates Real Estate Counsel, LP to Bentall U.S. Limited Partnership
- Sale of Advanced H2O, LLC to HM Advanced Holdings, LLC, Inc. a private equity group
- Sale of Java Trading Co., Inc. and Java Trading Co. International to Distant Lands Trading Co.
- Acquisition by Nordstrom, Inc. (NYSE: JWN) of a majority interest in Just Jeffrey, Inc. and JKS Enterprises
- Acquisition by Bentall U.S. Limited Partnership of an interest in Kennedy Associates Real Estate Counsel, Inc.
- Sale of Advanced H2O, Inc. to LaSalle Capital
- Private equity purchase of a majority interest in Avatar Holdings, LLC
- Private equity purchase of Anderson Chamberlin, Inc.
- Private equity purchase of Essential Baking Company
- Sale of Abacus Engineered Systems, Inc. to TAC Americas, Inc.
- Sale of Metropolitan Travel, Inc. to Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE)
- Sale of Majiq, Inc. to TietoEnator, Inc.
- Sale of Doellken Woodtape, Inc.’s wood products division to Edgemate, Inc.
- Sale of Primal, Inc. to Nura, Inc.
- Sale of Imagex.com to Kinko’s
- Advanced H2O, Inc. private stock financing and the purchase of bottling-plant and production-facility from CC Beverage, a U.S. subsidiary of Clearly Canadian Beverage.
- Sale of Highwire, Inc. to Galileo International, Inc., a subsidiary of Cendant Corporation (NYSE: CD).
- Sale of DataChannel, Inc. to Netegrity, Inc. (NASDAQ:NETE).
- ImageX.com acquisition of CreativePro.com, Inc.
- Enchanted Parks sale to Six Flags Theme Parks.
- Hanson Pipe and Products, Inc. acquisition of Pacific International Pipe Enterprises, Inc. and Pacific International Pipe Enterprises of Washington, Inc.
- Hanson Pipe and Products Northwest, Inc. acquisition of assets from Hydro Conduit Corporation.
- Hanson Building Products sale of Acme Materials and Construction to Oldcastle, Inc.
- Acquisition of North American Sales, Inc. and Pneuma-O-Ring International by Brokk, Inc.
- Döllken Kunststoff verarbeitung GmbH acquisition of American Profiles Company and Canada Woodtape, Inc.
Awards and Honors
- Named as one of The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate (2006-2017)
- Listed as one of Puget Sound’s top lawyers who completed “regions biggest deals of 2010,” Puget Sound Business Journal (February 25, 2011)
- Recommended in PLC Cross-border Mergers and Acquisitions Handbook (2007/08)
- AV Preeminent® in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
Professional and Community Activities
- Corporate Counsel Section of the King County Bar Association
- Member Board of Advisors, Gonzaga Law School Commercial Law Center