Lane Powell is widely recognized as a leading expert in the field of international insurance. For more than half a century, Lane Powell attorneys have provided coverage advice and defended the interests of London Insurers, including London Market Companies, Underwriters at Lloyd’s, London, and P & I Clubs against both first party and third party claims. The Firm’s London Insurance attorneys have significant depth of experience in handling legacy coverage disputes, and in addition, in providing advice to Underwriters and London Market brokers. Our Firm’s Insurance Team often provides advice in both direct insurance and reinsurance claims. Lane Powell attorneys are also routinely instructed by London Insurers to represent and defend litigation against London Market assureds.
Members of the Firm’s London Insurance Team actively participate in key industry and professional insurance organizations, frequently lecture on current insurance, liability, and U.S. trail practice issues, and publish articles in prominent publications. Many of the attorneys on the Lane Powell London Insurance Team have been recognized by their clients and peers for excellence in the field of insurance. Lane Powell’s London Insurance attorneys are knowledgeable concerning controlling state and federal insurance laws and regulations that impact the duties of surplus lines insurers doing business on the West Coast of the United States.
The Firm’s London practice originally had its genesis in the aviation and marine markets, and today, the Firm has a sizeable transportation practice for the London Market and its policyholders. For many decades, the Firm was one of a handful of law firms in the United States selected to represent the London Market in U.S. environmental coverage litigation. As a result, the Firm’s London Insurance attorneys have a broad depth of understanding concerning policy wordings, including historical London Market policy forms.
The Firm has maintained a London office for more than three decades. Today, Lane Powell has a centrally located London office in Gallery 4, 12 Leadenhall Street, in the Lloyd’s building. Our attorneys are frequently in London to meet with Insurers and brokers concerning pending matters. The Team’s London Insurance attorneys are also knowledgeable concerning the operation of the London Insurance Market and the relationship between London Insurers, insurance brokers, reinsurers and the policyholder.
The Lane Powell London Insurance Team is supported by the resources of a full-service law firm, which enables the Team to sharply increase the scope of services offered to insurance clients beyond the Team’s broad range of experience and skill in complex legal issues. The Firm’s attorneys have expertise in a wide spectrum of practice areas, including:
- Bad faith Coverage Disputes and Litigation
- All aspects of Insurance Coverage, including Third Party Liabilities, First Party and Property Disputes
- Transportation, including rail, mass transit, FELA defense and Motor Carrier Liability
- All aspects of maritime claims, including coverage and liabilities
- Aviation (including private, commercial, corporate aircraft and litigation)
- Coverage and defense of art and antiquities and jeweler’s block
- Environmental coverage litigation and defense arising under state and federal laws
- Construction Coverage and Liabilities
- Motor Sports
- Cyber law and liabilities for Security Breaches
- Banking and Financial Institutions coverage and liability disputes
- Aerospace and satellites
- Driverless cars, Drones, and Transportation Network Companies
- Directors’ & Officers’ coverage and defense
- ERISA Litigation
- Governmental, Municipal, Political and Port Authority Defense and Coverage Disputes
- Health Facilities, Hospitals, Health Hazards and London Term Care
- Medical Malpractice Disputes
- Intellectual property, including audits of Prospective Policyholders
- Labor and Employment
- Errors and Omissions/Professional liability
- Securities Litigation
- Toxic Torts, including Asbestos Defense
- Land and Sea Cargo
- Forest products
- Blood Stock
- State and Local United States Tax