Jeff Duncan Brecht will present “Involuntary Discharge of Residents: Challenges, Considerations and Best Practices” at the Oregon Health Care Association Spring Expo from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 7. Brecht will provide practical insights and strategies to assist senior living communities, including:
- How to evaluate whether and when an involuntary discharge is appropriate;
- Creative suggestions on how to potentially avoid involuntary discharges;
- Practical tips on communicating with residents, families and agencies about involuntary discharge matters;
- Considerations and options when your resident’s conduct poses the type of imminent threat that may warrant a less than 30-day Notice of Involuntary Discharge; and
- Best practices to increase your community’s likelihood of enforcing contested involuntary discharge notices — including the critical importance of timely and fully documenting your efforts to avoid the involuntary discharge; suggestions on how to draft an involuntary discharge notice that provides the key information needed to help support the necessity of the involuntary discharge; and what to do when the resident requests a hearing to oppose your community’s involuntary discharge notice.
The Spring Expo will take place March 7-8 at the Salem Convention Center in Salem, Oregon.