Real Estate Litigation
Lane Powell offers a strong, multi-disciplinary team of skilled attorneys actively involved in real estate litigation. The result is one of the Pacific Northwest’s most successful trial and arbitration performance records involving the purchase, sale, leasing, financing and development of real property.
Real estate is one of the nation’s most volatile and complicated areas of legal practice, a situation amplified in the Pacific Northwest. For more than 140 years, Lane Powell has attracted a diverse range of clients in the real estate sector, including property owners, retailers, financial institutions, developers, property managers and brokers from across the region.
Our clients rely on us to successfully take their cases to trial or arbitration, or to obtain satisfactory settlements. The Firm also is recognized for handling real estate disputes short of actual litigation, such as commercial foreclosures and restructuring debt arrangements (workouts) for financial institutions. In addition, we have been highly ranked in the U.S. News and Best Lawyers annual “Best Law Firms” survey for our work in eminent domain and condemnation law.
Broad Practice Experience
A chief Lane Powell benefit is its strength across a broad range of practice areas directly related to real estate, providing the Firm’s attorneys with keen insights for more effective litigation. Some examples are:
- Experience involving commercial properties of all kinds, including office buildings, retail and apartment complexes, department stores and shopping centers, residential developments, mixed-use facilities, hospitals, hotels, nursing homes, timberlands, mines, and storage and warehousing facilities, among others.
- Extensive experience in bankruptcy matters. As one of the first major law firms in the Pacific Northwest to recognize bankruptcy and creditors rights as a distinct practice area, Lane Powell attorneys have been successful in litigating virtually all bankruptcy issues involving real estate.
- Proven success in construction-related litigation for developers, contractors, project owners and design professionals. The Firm has successfully handled matters related to retail stores, hotels, schools, libraries, correctional facilities, park-and-ride facilities, university buildings, residential projects, medical facilities, airports, public works and many other commercial projects.
- A record of accomplishment in Pacific Northwest environmental and land-use litigation. Lane Powell attorneys have an excellent record in handling disputes involving land use, property tax valuations, lease and boundary matters, restrictive covenants, hazardous material clean-up liability, water rights, eminent domain, condemnation and other areas especially associated with Washington’s and Oregon’s land use and growth-management laws.
Active in Industry Associations
Lane Powell attorneys keep current on real estate trends and developments through active participation and support of the leading associations of real estate professionals in the Pacific Northwest. Among them:
- Building Owners and Managers Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Northwest Workout Association
- Commercial Real Estate Women
To learn more about some of the Firm’s complementary practice areas, please visit: