Areas of Practice
Jill Long concentrates her practice in the areas of land use and real estate, with a focus on obtaining land use entitlements for retailers, developers and property owners. She has successfully obtained entitlements for a broad range of clients, from national retailers to local family-owned shopping center developers. Jill has appeared successfully before city and county boards throughout Oregon and Washington, the Oregon Land Use Board of Appeals, the Oregon Department of Transportation and the Columbia River Gorge Commission, advocating for clients involved in a variety of projects including property development, zone and comprehensive plan changes, legislative lobbying, design review, variances and appeals. She also represents borrowers in new markets tax credit financings.
In addition to her active practice, Jill is the Director of Professional Development and Diversity at Lane Powell, providing leadership and strategic direction for the Firm’s professional development and diversity programs. She oversees the design, implementation and monitoring of a wide variety of programs related to the professional development of our attorneys, increasing our diversity, and fostering an inclusive work environment.
Admitted to Practice
- Northwestern School of Law of Lewis and Clark College (J.D., 1999)
- Lewis & Clark Law Review, Notes and Comments Editor (1998-1999)
- Jessup Moot Court Regional Team (1997-1999)
- Dean’s Fellowship (1996-1999)
- University of Oregon (B.A., Political Science, 1994)
Practice Group and Specialty Team Memberships
- Director, Professional Development and Diversity
- Diversity Committee
- Land Use
- Real Estate
- Public/Private Partnerships
- Sustainability and Climate Change
Representative Matters and Clients
- Con-way, Inc. Northwest Portland Master Plan – lead counsel to Con-way in pursuit of the re-development of its property in NW Portland, including obtaining a master plan approval from the City of Portland for a 10 year re-development project for Con-way’s site. Project included a number of significant negotiated agreements with stakeholders ranging from the Northwest District Association, Bureau of Development Services, Portland Bureau of Transportation, Oregon Department of Transportation and Portland Parks and Recreation.
- Portland Arena Management / Portland Trailblazers – represent Portland Arena Management and the Portland Trailblazers in the negotiation of a public private partnership to redevelop the Veteran’s Memorial Coliseum.
- Hilltop Mall Redevelopment – lead counsel to Hilltop Mall to assist in the redevelopment and leasing of client’s 20 acre site in Oregon City, Oregon, including a 20 acre master plan approval from the City of Oregon City and an anchor tenant lease with Safeway, Inc.
- Safeway, Inc. – representation of Safeway on multiple sites in Oregon and Washington to obtain entitlements for a variety of projects, including new store development and fuel stations.
- Home Depot – provide land use due diligence and assist client to obtain local and state entitlements for the development of new Home Depot stores in multiple locations in Oregon and Washington.
- “How Saying ‘Yes’ Helped Create a New Era for Diversity and Inclusion at Lane Powell,” Oregon Business magazine (October 2016)
- “A Prescription for Large Development Projects in 2015: Perseverance!” Oregon Business magazine (February 2015)
- “Innovation with Clean Diesel Construction,” Oregon Business magazine (June 2014)
“Economic Development — Creativity is Key,” Oregon Business magazine (November 2011)
- “Forming an ECODistrict,” BUILDERnews magazine (March 2010)
- “ECODistricts Take Shape,” BUILDERnews magazine (August 2009)
- “Governor’s ‘green’ agenda will also impact real estate,” Portland Business Journal, Co-author (November 2008)
Awards and Honors
- Named as one of The Best Lawyers in America®, Land Use and Zoning Law (2016-2017)
- “Maintaining Balance in a 24/7 Work World,” Washington Diversity and Leadership Conference (November 2016)
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity’s 2016 Pathfinder First Meeting, Panelist (April 2014)
- “The Anatomy of a Development Project from Acquisition to Zoning” Ticor Title Seminar Co-presenter (November 2014)
- “Real Estate and Land Use: Seismic Issues and Master Planning,” Oregon State Bar’s RELU Summer Conference (August 10, 2013)
- “Building the Challenging Project,” Lane Powell Seminar (October 18, 2006)
- “Land Use Basics,” Multnomah Bar Association, Young Lawyers Series (Winter 2003)
Professional and Community Activities
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Fellow (2014)
- Board of Directors, Third Rail Repertory Theatre (2011-Present)
- Oregon Children’s Theatre
- Board of Directors
- Past Chairman, Board of Directors
- Board of Directors, Citizens’ Crime Commission (2011-Present)
- Member, Oregon State Bar, Real Estate and Land Use Section
- The Children’s Course
- Board of Directors (1999-2007)
- Program Committee Chair (2001-2003)
- Portland Business Alliance, Leadership Portland Class of 2003
- Member, NAIOP, the Commercial Real Estate Development Association, Public Affairs Committee
- Co-Program Chair, International Council of Shopping Centers (2011-Present)