From the D&O Discourse blog:
- 5 Wishes for Securities Litigation Defense: Effective Use of the Supreme Court’s Omnicare Decision
- Lane Powell Launches New Securities Litigation Blog, D&O Developments
- 5 Wishes for Securities Litigation Defense: Greater Insurer Involvement in Defense-Counsel Selection and Strategy
From the D&O Developments blog:
- Sixth Circuit Affirms Dismissal on Scienter Grounds in Doshi v. Gen’l Cable Corp. (May 24, 2016)
- Second Circuit Reaffirms Importance of Omnicare Protections in Querub v. Moore Stephens Hong Kong (May 20, 2016)
- Eighth Circuit Becomes First Appeals Court to Interpret Halliburton II in IBEW Local 98 Pension Fund, et al. v. Best Buy Co., Inc. (April 12, 2016)
Lane Powell’s Securities Litigation Group handles the full spectrum of securities and corporate governance litigation, including:
- Securities class actions
- Individual, non-class securities actions
- Shareholder derivative actions
- Shareholder challenges to mergers and acquisitions
- Contests for corporate control
- Disputes between parties to a merger or acquisition
- SEC and DOJ investigations and enforcement actions
- Internal corporate investigations, including representation of independent committees of boards of directors
Our securities litigators are among the most respected and experienced practitioners in the profession. Our Firm has a culture of hands-on case management, so our partners closely supervise and actively work on our cases. We were recently ranked the second busiest securities practice in the nation, as published in the Law360 Litigation Almanac. We have also been highly ranked in the U.S. News and Best Lawyers annual “Best Law Firms” survey. We founded and publish the blog D&O Discourse, the first and only opinion-based blog written from a securities litigation defense perspective.
Lane Powell is “Your Pacific Northwest Law Firm®,” and we maintain a Northwest culture of client service, and Northwest economics. But our geography does not limit the reach of our practices. Our securities litigation practice is a good example. We serve a wide range of clients in litigation around the country. Our clients are attracted to our unique value proposition, combining excellence and experience with a reasonable cost structure and a common-sense approach to case management. This approach includes the opportunity for clients to select from alternate pricing models; a streamlined litigation process that cuts out needless and repetitive work; and a commitment to forcing plaintiffs’ lawyers to prove their case, rather than — as they so often do — being able to rely on baseless accusations to achieve easy settlements against honest companies.
Our securities litigators have defended companies such as Alltel, Amazon.com, Ambassadors Group, Boeing, Cell Therapeutics, Cutter & Buck, Dendreon, Expedia, InfoSpace, Jones Soda, L&L Energy, Liberty Mutual, Micron Technology, Nighthawk Radiology, Nordstrom, OfficeMax, PremierWest Bancorp, Primo Water, Safeco, Sterling Financial, TriQuint Semiconductor, WSB Financial Group, and Zumiez.
Our securities litigation team comprises both lawyers whose practices are devoted to securities litigation and accomplished trial lawyers with a distinct emphasis in securities litigation, including a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, the former U.S. Attorney for the District of Oregon, and a 20-year Assistant U.S. Attorney. We have an excellent track record in obtaining dismissals prior to any discovery. But when a case survives a motion to dismiss, we know how to prepare a case for trial, and our trial lawyers stand ready to try even the largest securities class action.
Our team also includes former senior Securities and Exchange Commission enforcement and Department of Justice officials, and former state securities regulators. We thus bring great skill and experience to the defense of government enforcement matters, whether it is a stand-alone matter or related to private securities litigation.