From the D&O Discourse blog:
- 3 Key Securities Litigation Developments of 2016
- Lessons Learned in London
- Vote D&O Discourse for Best Legal Blog!
From the D&O Developments blog:
- Eleventh Circuit Upholds District Court Dismissal of Claims Against Pharma Company Related to Undisclosed Payments to Stock Promoters, in In re Galectin Therapeutics, Inc. Securities Litigation (December 15, 2016)
- Ninth Circuit Smells a Rat: Failure to Disclose FDA Concerns about Rat Study Gives Rise to Strong Inference of Scienter in Schwartz v. Arena Pharmaceuticals (October 26, 2016)
- First Circuit Finds Too Few Brushstrokes to Paint a Portrait of Scienter, in Local No. 8 v. Vertex Pharmaceuticals (October 3, 2016)
With more than 30 attorneys, Lane Powell’s Securities Litigation Group handles the full spectrum of securities and corporate governance litigation, including:
- Securities class actions
- Individual, non-class securities actions
- Shareholder derivative actions
- Shareholder challenges to mergers and acquisitions
- Contests for corporate control
- Disputes between parties to a merger or acquisition
- SEC and DOJ investigations and enforcement actions
- Internal corporate investigations, including representation of independent committees of boards of directors
Our securities litigators are among the most respected and experienced practitioners in the profession. Our Firm has a culture of hands-on case management, so our partners closely supervise and actively work on our cases. We were recently ranked the second busiest securities practice in the nation, as published in the Law360 Litigation Almanac. We have also been highly ranked in the U.S. News and Best Lawyers annual “Best Law Firms” survey. We founded and publish the blog D&O Discourse, the first and only opinion-based blog written from a securities litigation defense perspective.
Lane Powell is “Your Pacific Northwest Law Firm®,” and we maintain a Northwest culture of client service, and Northwest economics. But our geography does not limit the reach of our practices. Our securities litigation practice is a good example. We serve a wide range of clients in litigation around the country. Our clients are attracted to our unique value proposition, combining excellence and experience with a reasonable cost structure and a common-sense approach to case management. This approach includes the opportunity for clients to select from alternate pricing models; a streamlined litigation process that cuts out needless and repetitive work; and a commitment to forcing plaintiffs’ lawyers to prove their case, rather than — as they so often do — being able to rely on baseless accusations to achieve easy settlements against honest companies.
Our securities litigators have defended companies such as Alltel, Amazon.com, Ambassadors Group, Boeing, Cell Therapeutics, Cutter & Buck, Dendreon, Expedia, InfoSpace, Jones Soda, L&L Energy, Liberty Mutual, Lihua International, Micron Technology, Nighthawk Radiology, Nordstrom, OfficeMax, PremierWest Bancorp, Primo Water, Safeco, Sterling Financial, TriQuint Semiconductor, WSB Financial Group, and Zumiez.
Our securities litigation group comprises lawyers who began their career at Lane Powell, and partners and associates who joined the Firm from national firms. It includes both lawyers whose practices are devoted to securities litigation and accomplished trial lawyers with a distinct emphasis in securities litigation, including a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and a long-time Assistant U.S. Attorney. We have an excellent track record in obtaining dismissals prior to any discovery. But when a case survives a motion to dismiss, we know how to prepare a case for trial, and our trial lawyers stand ready to try even the largest securities class action.