Areas of Practice
William Lin focuses his practice in the areas of corporate and commercial business transactions, mergers and acquisitions, investments, securities regulations compliance, and providing clients with strategic counsel in diverse areas of business law.
Corporate Law – William advises individuals and entities in a variety of fields, from small startups to large publicly traded companies. William has broad experience on corporate and commercial law matters, including, contract negotiations; drafting and interpretation of business agreements; corporate formation and record-keeping; implementation and administration of employee benefits plans; licensing and distribution transactions; and various regulatory compliance issues. He also acts as outside general counsel for privately held companies.
Mergers & Acquisitions International Investments – William regularly provides counsel to investors and companies in significant business transactions, such as public and private mergers, asset purchase and sale transactions, commercial finance transactions, commercial real estate investments, public and private securities offerings and strategic investments. William is also knowledgeable in the area of international transactions, including joint ventures and other business combinations with foreign partners and foreign investment into the United States.
Securities Regulation Compliance – William assists private and public companies in complying with state and federal securities regulations. He assists public companies in preparing their annual reports, proxy statements, Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K, press releases and their compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. William routinely provides management, boards and board committees with detailed analysis on issues relating to corporate governance. He also helps private and public companies facilitate restricted/affiliate stock transactions and helps insiders of public companies comply with regulations and rules of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Starbucks Coffee Company, Financial Analyst (1994-1996)
Admitted to Practice
- University of Iowa (J.D., with distinction, 1999)
- Journal of Transnational Law and Contemporary Problems, Managing Editor (1998-1999)
- University of Washington (B.A., with honors, 1994)
Practice Group and Specialty Team Memberships
- Corporate Finance and Securities
- Diversity Committee
- Food, Beverage and Hospitality
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Securities Litigation
- Startups and Emerging Companies
William has been involved in numerous mergers, acquisitions and corporate finance transactions. Some examples of those transactions include the following:
- Assisted a jewelry retailer in its acquisition by Berkshire Hathaway Inc.
- Advised a European auto-manufacturer in its strategic investments in the Pacific Northwest
- Assisted an internet-based printing service company in the acquisition of a Web-based publishing company
- Assisted a national retailer in spinning off its catalog and internet businesses into a separate subsidiary involving various inter-company agreements
- Assisted an internet-based design and printing service company complete a $5,000,000 “PIPE” transaction involving common stock and warrants (Form S-3)
- Assisted a regional travel company in its acquisition by Expedia, Inc.
- Assisted a national retailer in issuing $300,000,000 in Senior Notes. Also assisted the same company in registering shares to be issued pursuant to its various employee benefit programs (Forms S-8) and “shelf” registering shares acquired in an acquisition for resale by its shareholders (Form S-3)
- Assisted a biotechnology company in its initial public offering of common stock (Form S-1)
In addition to the above, William has been involved in numerous private placements of securities.
- “Business Investment in China: Where Is the Money?” Seattle Business magazine, Co-author (June 2016)
- “Enterprise Risk Management Fundamentals: Understanding ERM Concepts and Legal Applications,” American Bar Association webinar, Panelist (October 25, 2013)
Awards and Honors
- Named as a “Rising Star,” Washington Law & Politics, 2001
Professional and Community Activities
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (2015)
- Washington State Bar Association
- Mandarin Chinese