Lane Powell offers extensive experience throughout the Pacific Northwest — as well as nationally and internationally — in the development, management, and purchase and sale of real property. The Firm’s attorneys are experienced in many facets of commercial lending and transaction financing, bankruptcy, property valuation and taxation, as well as environmental and land-use matters.
Lane Powell has a proven record of successfully representing buyers and sellers in transactions involving commercial properties and businesses of all kinds, including office buildings, retail and apartment complexes, department stores and shopping centers, mixed-use facilities, hospitals, hotels, nursing homes, timberland, mines, storage and warehousing facilities, residential properties and raw land.
In addition to representing borrowers, Lane Powell skillfully counsels commercial lenders who finance all types of real estate transactions, including acquisitions, development and construction activities. The Firm also has substantial experience representing borrowers and lenders in troubled loan workout arrangements, as well as deed-of-trust and mortgage foreclosure proceedings.
Our Real Estate practice is recommended in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Chambers’ sources say our attorneys are “very responsive and timely, and keep clients’ best interests in mind at all times” and are “unique problem solvers who are available around the clock.” In addition, we have been highly ranked in the U.S. News and Best Lawyers annual “Best Law Firms” survey for our work in real estate law.
Among the several other areas of real estate law Lane Powell regularly handles are:
- Commercial Leasing: Representing landlords and tenants in all kinds of commercial real estate leasing transactions, as well as ground, timberland and aquatic leases.
- Bankruptcy Proceedings and Property Liquidations: Representing debtors and creditors in bankruptcy proceedings, workouts and property liquidations.
- Land-Use Planning and Development: Representing developers, businesses and lenders in connection with land-use and environmental issues arising from all kinds of development projects, from retail complexes to residential developments and natural resource extraction.
- Like-Kind Exchanges: Representing buyers and sellers in structuring “tax-free” like-kind exchanges of timberland, shopping center property, waterfront pier property and vacant land, among others, under Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Materialmen, Architectural and Engineering Liens: Recording and foreclosing upon all types of materialmen’s, architectural and engineering liens.
Real Estate Development and Finance
Lane Powell’s Real Estate Development and Finance Practice Group includes real estate, construction and litigation attorneys experienced in all phases of the real estate development process, from site selection through preparation of tenant leases, including:
- Project finance
- Environmental and land-use
- Contract negotiations and drafting
- Change orders, construction claims and liens
- Litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute methods
- Public/private partnerships
- Affordable Housing and Community Development
- Mixed-Use Development
Attorneys in this group represent developers, owners, contractors, design professionals and suppliers, and are skilled in negotiating and finalizing agreements, as well as in litigation, arbitration, mediation and claims work.
Through specialization and experience, Lane Powell’s Real Estate Development and Finance attorneys are able to identify the legal issues in each real estate or construction-related transaction or dispute and then recommend practical, cost-effective solutions.
To learn more about some of the Firm’s complementary practice areas, please visit:
- Land Use
- New Markets Tax Credits
- Public/Private Partnerships
- Real Estate Litigation
- Pension-fund acquisition of $70 million hotel and office building project in Atlanta, Ga.
- Equity investment in and development of four suite hotels in western U.S., valued at $55 million
- Sale of $78 million regional shopping mall
- Synthetic lease financing of web-hosting facilities at $185 million
- Synthetic lease financing of semiconductor manufacturing facility at $45 million
- Acquisition of $900 million of timberland in four western states
- Acquisition by national hotel chain of numerous hotels in western U.S., totaling $45 million
- Acquisition and management of two hotels in Los Angeles, Calif., including negotiation with labor union and liquor control board for $55 million
- Leasing of 1.8 million square foot industrial park
- Sale of $23 million office building in Pleasanton, Calif.
- Sale of a $45 million office building in Vienna, Va.
- Acquisition of two office buildings in Ohio for $98 million
- Leasing of a nine-building office park in Greenwich, Conn.
- Acquisition of five industrial manufacturing sites across Oregon and Washington
- Forty-acre master plan mixed-use development with hotel, gas station, restaurants and retail space
- Equity investment in 1,500-unit multi-family development in Utah
- Forty-four-acre master plan commercial redevelopment in all aspects of land-use, leasing and disposition
- Office, industrial and retail leasing and reciprocal easement negotiations of six portfolio properties in three western states
- Acquisition of two flex-use business parks in California from major life insurance company for $25 million