Areas of Practice
Laura L. Richardson is a trial attorney who represents businesses and individuals in a variety of industries including publishing, solar, manufacturing, health products, and retail. Laura has experience with all stages of state and federal litigation, including factual investigations, written discovery, substantive motion practice, settlement negotiations, trial preparation, and appeals. Laura has represented clients in a diverse array of litigated matters including class actions, contract disputes, public records litigation, discrimination suits, false advertising/unfair competition actions, and anti-SLAPP litigation.
Representative matters include:
- Defended weekly journal in a defamation action, in which plaintiff abandoned his suit upon our filing of an anti-SLAPP motion.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a national financial institution in a discrimination suit.
- Obtained dismissal of a lawsuit against a national financial institution on a motion to dismiss.
- Successfully opposed motion for summary judgment in an intentional interference and racketeering action.
- Defended national retailer in class action, in which the plaintiff dismissed the action following early discovery.
- Successfully argued motion to compel discovery in discrimination lawsuit.
Additionally, Laura has an active pro bono practice. In representing a death row inmate in Alabama, she presented evidence of ineffective assistance of counsel during a four-day evidentiary hearing. She also represented a city in a First Amendment action and obtained dismissal of the federal action on a motion to dismiss and the related state action on an anti-SLAPP motion.
- Sidley Austin LLP, Litigation Associate (2013-2015)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee, Judicial Clerk to the Honorable Jon P. McCalla (2012-2013)
- Paul Hastings, Summer Associate (2011)
- Sidley Austin, Summer Associate (2010, 2011)
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth and Sixth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Oregon, Western District of Tennessee, and all California districts.
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law (J.D., 2012)
- UCLA Law Review, Chief Comments Editor
- UCLA Law Supreme Court Clinic
- Kenyon College (B.A., magna cum laude, 2006)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Practice Group and Specialty Team Memberships
- Class Action Defense
- Title III ADA Public Accommodation
- Privacy and Data Security
- Products Liability and Mass Torts Litigation
- Investigations and Regulatory Compliance
- Securities Litigation
- “Global Guide to Whistleblowing Programs 2016,” World Law Group, Second Edition, Legal Reviewer (August 2016)
- “Global Guide to Data Breach Notifications,” World Law Group, Second Edition, Legal Reviewer (April 2016)
- “My Business Was Hit With a Class Action! What Do I Do?” Seattle Business magazine, Co-author (December 2015)
- “Can an Offer of Complete Relief to the Named Plaintiff Moot a Class Action?” Oregon State Bar’s Litigation Journal, Co-author (Fall 2015)
- “Oregon Amends Data Breach Law — Companies Can Expect More Enforcement Actions,” Lane Powell Legal Update (July 24, 2015)
- “When the Honey Runs Out: Strategies for Combatting Consumer Class Action Suit,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Co-author (November 2014)
- “‘Made in USA’ Class Actions Target the Apparel Industry,” Apparel, Co-author (August 2014)
- “California Case Law Is an Excellent Anti-SLAPP Resource,” Law360 (February 2014)
- “The Impact of Marsy’s Law on Parole in California,” Criminal Law Bulletin (2013)
- “Protecting Work Product in the Age of Electronic Discovery,” Driven’s eDiscovery Speaker Series, Portland, Oregon (November 9, 2016)
Professional and Community Activities
- Board of Directors, Mental Health Advocacy Services (2014-2015)