Areas of Practice
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Business Transactions
- Real Estate Transactions
- Lane Powell PC
- Shareholder (1978-Present)
- Co-Managing Partner (1998-2002)
- Partner in Charge (1994-2002)
- Joined the Firm (January 2, 1973)
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- George Washington University (J.D., 1972), Order of the Coif
- George Washington University Law Review, Notes Editor (1971-1972)
- University of Washington (B.A., cum laude, 1969)
Practice Group and Specialty Team Memberships
- Corporate Finance and Securities
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate
Recent Representative Transactions
- Purchase and Sale of Georgia and South Carolina saw mills from International Paper Company as Seller to Simpson Lumber Company as Buyer. We represented the Buyer.
- Purchase and Sale of the Caffall Bros. saw mill business and assets from Caffall Bros. Forest Products, Inc., as Seller to Simpson Timber Company as Buyer. We represented the Buyer.
- Sale of all outstanding capital stock of Olympic Medical Corporation by Stock Purchase Agreement from Jay A. Jones and Mary J. Jones as Sellers to Natus Medical Incorporated as Buyer. We represented the Sellers.
- Sale of substantially all assets and business of PSA Composites LLC, including patents and patent applications for low density, composite materials for use as alternative wood products from PSA Composites LLC as Seller to Weyerhaeuser Company as Buyer. We represented the Seller.
- Sale of the Gene Juarez Salons assets and business from Michael Coe and Gene Juarez as Sellers to Gene Juarez Salons, LLC, an acquisition subsidiary of Evergreen Partners, as Buyer. We represented the Sellers.
- Sale of 137 acres of downtown Bellingham waterfront property from Georgia-Pacific Corporation and Georgia-Pacific West, Inc. as Sellers to the Port of Bellingham as Buyer. We represented the Sellers.
- “Limiting the liability of nonprofit directors,” Puget Sound Business Journal, May 8, 2009
Awards and Honors
- Named as one of The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate (2001-2017)
- Named as a “Washington Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers® magazine, Business/Corporate (1999, 2002-2016)
- Recommended by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Corporate/Commercial (2005-2009)
- Named in “Top Business Lawyers,” Seattle Business magazine (2008)
- Named in “Best Lawyers,” survey published by Seattle Metropolitan (2006-2007)
- AV Preeminent® in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
Professional and Community Activities
- Former Secretary, General Counsel and Trustee, Greater Seattle Chamber of Commerce (1999-2014)
- Past President, United States Law Firm Group (2004)
- American Bar Association, Business Section
- Washington State Bar Association, Business Section and Real Estate Section