Intellectual Property and Technology
Lane Powell offers one of the Pacific Northwest’s most comprehensive intellectual property practices. The Firm’s Intellectual Property and Technology Practice Group members are recognized for providing counsel across all key areas — from patents and copyrights, to trademarks and trade secrets. In fact, the World Trademark Review 1000, a guide dedicated to identifying leading trademark legal service providers, stated that Lane Powell “hosts a strong cadre of trademark practitioners” and “clients never hesitate in recommending thriving full-service ensemble Lane Powell across the spectrum of trademark functions, including prominent contentious suits and worldwide filing and maintenance programs,” adding that “sterling performances on brand-related litigation and prosecution mandates have assured Lane Powell’s fine reputation in this region.” In addition, the IAM Patent 1000, a guide that identifies leading patent professionals and firms, stated that Lane Powell’s “commitment to its clients’ business needs and cost-effective solutions also prove particularly attractive to patrons” and that the Firm “wins particular plaudits for its litigation, and is strong and flexible enough to handle a range of tricky matters.” We work hard to understand our clients’ businesses and we are passionate about helping them achieve their goals by crafting unique intellectual property strategies that will help their businesses thrive.
From the moment an invention is made or a technology is acquired, through the point that invention shapes a product or service, Lane Powell attorneys focus on helping clients realize a return on their IP investments. Our goal is to truly understand our clients’ business objectives and challenges. We help them identify important technologies, decide how best to protect them, and determine how to prioritize their resources so IP expenditures are guided by business goals. Lane Powell lawyers work closely with clients. We understand the challenges businesses face, and we work tirelessly to make sure that our clients make better business decisions. In fact, sources in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business said that we go “above and beyond — they really care about our company.” We have also been highly ranked in the U.S. News and Best Lawyers annual “Best Law Firms” survey for our work in intellectual property and patent litigation, and patent and trademark law.
- IP Strategy: Understanding a company’s market, landscape and competitive advantage, and using that understanding to put together a strategy to identify, protect and enforce IP rights that will help your business succeed. Lane Powell attorneys believe that every decision to register or enforce an intellectual property right should begin with a conversation about how that decision relates to business goals, and that legal counsel is a crucial part of turning intellectual property into commercial success.
- Copyright Law: Protecting, registering and enforcing copyrights in the U.S. and overseas, and assisting in acquisition and transfer of copyright and other intellectual property rights through license, assignment, purchase and other agreements. The Firm also is experienced in the development of corporate copyright policies and compliance programs.
- Internet Law: Counseling in all areas of Internet law, from website development and hosting agreements to site privacy and e-commerce. Lane Powell attorneys are experienced in compliance with state and federal privacy regulations and in security risks to clients’ valuable customer and product information. The Firm has litigated numerous cybersquatting disputes under the ICANN Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy and the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act.
- Patent Law: Filing and prosecuting patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark office, assessing, acquiring and licensing patent rights for inventions and complex technologies, as well as providing counsel on complex issues of licensing, technology transfer and product development strategies. Our patent prosecution and strategy practice attorneys have been hand-picked for their diverse skills, strategic focus and holistic approach to our clients’ business needs. Each of our patent practitioners has a proven track record for understanding client business goals and developing intellectual property portfolios tailored to support those business goals. Our patent attorneys have technical degrees as well as law degrees in a broad range of fields. Many have worked as engineers or scientists before going to law school, and all are passionate about helping your business succeed. Additionally, the Firm maintains solid relationships with patent specialists around the world who can assist on matters requiring technical representation before foreign patent offices.
- Trade Secret Law: Protecting clients’ valuable trade secrets, proprietary know-how and confidential information. Lane Powell attorneys are skilled in negotiating and preparing confidentiality agreements, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements to protect proprietary information.
- Trademark Law: Providing complete trademark services to protect and maximize clients’ proprietary rights in their brands, identities and images — from creation through commercial exploitation, from business transactions to enforcement. Lane Powell provides experienced counsel for the registration, maintenance, dispute resolution, monitoring and enforcement of trade and associated marks.
- Product Clearance/Freedom to Operate: Providing opinions regarding invalidity and infringement, and also analysis of competitor portfolios to identify areas of risk and opportunity.
- Creating programs to inventory existing rights and newly created technologies, vet invention disclosures, and help ensure that important technology is protected appropriately and resources are used effectively;
- Prosecuting patent, trademark, and copyright applications and obtaining registrations; and
- Preparing appropriate confidentiality and non-competition agreements for vendors and employees that establish and clarify intellectual property rights.
Lane Powell assists clients in developing, acquiring and transferring patent, trademark, copyright and other proprietary rights through license, assignment, purchase and other types of agreements. These rights are critical in activities such as:
- Creating product distribution networks;
- Developing asset purchase arrangements;
- Part of joint venture agreements; and
- Through corporate mergers.
Lane Powell attorneys regularly negotiate and prepare confidentiality agreements, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements to protect clients’ proprietary information. They also can assist in developing corporate in-house programs for protecting and managing intellectual property.
Lane Powell’s intellectual property group members include experienced litigators skilled in assisting clients in the protection, enforcement and preservation of intellectual property rights in areas such as:
- Negotiated resolution
- Other dispute resolution procedures
Lane Powell has successfully litigated disputes involving patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets and unfair competition issues, among others. Lane Powell attorneys do so with business objectives firmly in mind, to help ensure that the litigation strategy is guided by the client’s business needs.
Lane Powell’s litigators are experienced in all aspects of intellectual property litigation, including trials and appeals in state and federal courts, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, arbitration, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution procedures such as the ICANN Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy. For example, the Firm’s litigation attorneys have successfully litigated complex trademark and trade dress issues, unfair competition, passing-off and false advertising disputes, as well as the prosecution and defense of federal and state trademark infringement claims. They are skilled in multinational trademark disputes — such as conflicts in which parties have trademark rights in the same countries but prior rights in different parts of the world — and in handling trademark proceedings in multiple countries, coordinating with international counsel and working to reach global settlements.
Litigation can be expensive, and Lane Powell provides representation in an efficient manner. The Firm’s attorneys keep abreast of developments in the rapidly changing field of intellectual property in order to provide clients with the most updated representation possible, and they strive for innovative, creative and cutting-edge legal solutions. When appropriate, Lane Powell works with clients to secure cost-effective resolutions in alternative dispute resolution forums such as arbitration and mediation.
Intellectual Property and Technology
Intellectual Property and Technology
Representative Litigation Matters
- Represented plaintiff in complex trade secrets/technology case resulting in a $42 million jury verdict
- Successfully represented a number of shoe manufacturers and sellers in trademark litigation brought by major footwear manufacturer with respect to the right to use stripes as a design element on footwear
- Successfully defended and plaintiffed several claims involving complex trademark and trade dress issues
- Represented prevailing party in several Internet domain name disputes