Privacy and Data Security
Lane Powell’s Privacy and Data Security practice provides clients with comprehensive counseling on all aspects of data privacy and protection. From preliminary risk assessment of data security to representation in civil lawsuits, Lane Powell offers experienced and technologically savvy attorneys who counsel clients on how to effectively and efficiently minimize legal and reputational risk arising out of collection, use, storage and loss of sensitive data, including personally identifiable information, customer financial data, confidential business data and trade secrets.
The Lane Powell Privacy and Data Security team proactively counsels clients on:
- Strategies to evaluate and assess the cyber liability risk they face;
- Drafting policies to control and manage sensitive data;
- Evaluating compliance with the myriad of state, federal, and international privacy and data security regulations;
- Helping clients structure their organizations to best facilitate HIPAA compliance;
- Creating effective privacy policies;
- Crafting breach response plans;
- Training employees to minimize the risk of intentional theft or negligent loss of data;
- Negotiating and evaluating cyber liability insurance options to transfer risk;
- Advising officers and directors on disclosure obligations regarding cybersecurity and privacy matters; and
- Drafting effective contracts (including business associate agreements) with vendors who handle sensitive data on behalf of clients.
Lane Powell has significant experience in advising clients on compliance with privacy and data security regulations imposed by federal law (such as HIPAA(as amended by HITECH), FCRA, COPPA, GLBA, CAN-SPAM, the FTC Act) and state law.
Lane Powell also guides clients in quickly and effectively responding to data breaches or inadvertent disclosures of sensitive data. This includes:
- Assisting in the implementation of a data breach response plan;
- Coordinating breach assessments and action plans;
- Coordinating with local and national law enforcement personnel when necessary;
- Ensuring compliance with state, national, and international breach notification laws; and
- Representing clients in investigations and civil lawsuits that arise from data breach events.
Lane Powell has experience in assisting clients in data breach response events in a wide array of industries.
A number of Lane Powell attorneys are also members of the International Association of Privacy Professionals.