Areas of Practice
Claire Loebs Davis focuses her practice on defending public companies and their directors and officers in securities class actions, shareholder derivative suits, and investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Claire joined Lane Powell from Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati in December 2012. She graduated from the University of Michigan Law School in 2003 (class rank 2 of 387), and clerked for the Honorable Richard Nygaard of the Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
Prior to attending law school, Claire was a newspaper reporter for several years, primarily covering legal and political issues, and winning multiple state and national writing awards.
In addition to securities litigation, Claire represents clients in matters related to animal law. She developed her focus on animal law through work as a lawyer and consultant for Best Friends Animal Society.
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, Litigation Associate (2007-2012)
- Best Friends Animal Society, In-House Counsel/Animal Law Consultant (2004-2007)
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals, Judicial Clerk for Hon. Richard L. Nygaard (2003-2004)
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2003)
- Order of the Coif
- Class rank 2/387
- Michigan Law Review, Contributing Editor
- Recipient of Henry M. Bates Memorial Scholarship Award
- Awarded Roger A. Cunningham Memorial Property Prize
- The George Washington University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1995)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- National Merit Scholar
- CNN’s Inside Politics, Intern
- Bureau of National Affairs, Intern
- IT Magazine, Co-founder and Editor-in-chief
- The Insider, Editor-in-chief
- Pulliam Fellowship, Recipient
Practice Group and Specialty Team Memberships
- Securities Litigation
- D&O Liability
Representative Matters and Clients
Claire is one of the nation’s most experienced securities litigators of her generation. She has handled and managed all aspects of securities and corporate governance litigation matters, from discovery management, to motion-to-dismiss briefing and oral arguments, to strategic matters such as case development, mediations and trial preparation.
Claire was a newspaper reporter before law school, which helped her to develop skills that are key to excellent brief writing. She has specialized in developing, writing and editing briefs throughout her legal career, and has written or supervised the preparation of myriad winning motions to dismiss.
Claire has defended a broad range of securities and corporate governance litigation matters, representing clients such as Ambassadors Group, Cell Therapeutics, Dendreon, Jones Soda, Kerry Killinger (former CEO of Washington Mutual), Nighthawk Radiology, PremierWest Bancorp, Primo Water, TriQuint Semiconductor and WSB Financial Group.
Claire is a primary author and editor of Lane Powell’s Securities and Corporate Governance Litigation blog, D&O Discourse.
- “Supreme Court’s Omnicare Decision Follows Middle Path Advocated by Lane Powell and Washington Legal Foundation,” Lane Powell Legal Update, Co-author (March 26, 2015)
- “Supreme Court’s Omnicare Decision Follows Middle Path Advocated by Lane Powell and WLF,” Washington Legal Foundation’s The Legal Pulse blog , Co-author (March 25, 2015)
“Supreme Court Sets High Bar for Challenging Exec Opinions,” Law360, Quoted (March 24, 2015)
- “Omnicare Court Ponders Two Middle Paths: One Rocky, One Smooth,” Law360, Quoted (December 3, 2014)
- “Justices Face Muddy Waters with Omnicare Middle Ground,” Law360, Quoted (November 7, 2014)
- “Supreme Court to Hear Pensions Argument,” POLITICO Pro, Quoted (November 3, 2014)
- “True, not False: SCOTUS ‘Omnicare’ Case Highlights Need for Clarity on Key Securities Class Action Issue,” The Legal Pulse blog, Washington Legal Foundation, Co-author (November 3, 2014)
- “Ineffective Motions to Dismiss Erode the Power of the Reform Act,” Co-author, The Corporate Governance Advisor (July/August 2014)
- “High Court Takes Up New Securities Conundrum in Omnicare Case,” The AM Law Litigation Daily, Quoted (March 3, 2014)
- “Securities Defense Bar Has High Hopes Riding on Omnicare,” Law360, Quoted (March 3, 2014)
- “Halliburton: Do Plaintiffs Have a Fix in Affiliated Ute?” Law360 (February 13, 2014)
- “Public Companies, Beware! Safe Harbor Protection Requires Thoughtful Warnings and a Sophisticated Defense,” Seattle Business magazine, Co-author (February 2014)
- “6th Circ. Took a Wrong Turn in Omnicare,” Law360 (August 21, 2013)
Claire has given presentations at the local and national level, including for the Washington State Bar Association and at the University of Washington, The George Washington University, and Lewis and Clark Law School.
- Named as a “Washington Rising Star,” Super Lawyers® magazine, Securities Litigation (2010-2014)
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, Pro Bono Panel, Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington
- Washington State Bar Association Animal Law Section
- Chairperson-elect (2013)
- Editor, Animal Law Section Newsletter