Areas of Practice
Doug Greene has focused his practice exclusively on securities and corporate governance litigation for more than 15 years. He is one of a relatively small number of practitioners nationwide who handle such matters full time. He is co-chair of the Firm’s Securities Litigation and Director and Officer Liability Practice Groups.
As a securities litigator, Doug defends public companies and their directors and officers in securities class actions, litigation concerning mergers and acquisitions, shareholder derivative actions, and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission investigations and enforcement proceedings. He also conducts internal corporate investigations.
Outside of handing client matters, Doug devotes a significant amount of time to developing and sharing his knowledge of securities and corporate governance litigation law and practice. He is a frequent public speaker and author, and is the founder of and principal contributor to Lane Powell’s blog D&O Discourse, the first and only blog devoted to providing opinion from a defense perspective on shareholder litigation matters.
Doug joined Lane Powell in May of 2012. Prior to joining Lane Powell, he was a partner at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, K&L Gates and Perkins Coie.
- K&L Gates, Partner (2011-2012)
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, Partner (2005-2010)
- Perkins Coie LLP, Partner (1993-2005)
Admitted to Practice
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., with High Distinction, 1992)
- Order of the Coif
- Articles Editor, Iowa Law Review
- St. Olaf College (B.A., cum laude, Economics, 1988)
Practice Group and Specialty Team Memberships
- Co-chair, Director and Officer Liability Practice Group
- Co-chair, Securities Litigation Practice Group
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Bribery and International Anti-Corruption
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Privacy and Data Security
Representative Matters and Clients
Doug is one of the country’s most experienced securities litigators. He has handled many dozens of shareholder litigation matters, including one or more publicly disclosed matters for the following companies:
- Alcide Corporation
- Amazon.com, Inc.
- Ambassadors Group, Inc.
- aQuantive, Inc.
- Artificial Life, Inc.
- Biovest International (former CEO)
- The Boeing Company
- Cell Therapeutics, Inc.
- Corillian Corporation
- Dendreon Corporation
- Drugstore.com, Inc.
- Egghead, Inc.
- Expedia, Inc.
- Fumoto Engineering of America
- InfoSpace, Inc.
- Jones Soda Co.
- L&L Energy, Inc.
- Liberty Mutual
- Lihua International
- Merix Corporation
- Metawave Communications Corporation
- Micron Technology, Inc.
- OfficeMax Incorporated
- RBC Dain Rauscher Corp.
- PremierWest Bancorp
- Primo Water Corporation
- Primus Knowledge Solutions, Inc.
- ProCyte Corporation
- Quantum Corporation
- Safeco Corporation
- Spacelabs Medical, Inc.
- Sterling Financial Corporation
- Subaye, Inc.
- TriQuint Semiconductor, Inc.
- Washington Banking Company
- Washington Mutual (former CEO)
- Western Wireless Corporation
- WSB Financial Group, Inc.
- Zumiez, Inc.
In addition to these public matters, Doug has represented companies, boards, boards committees, and individual directors and officers in dozens of nonpublic internal investigations and shareholder litigation matters.
- Principal blog contributor since 2012, “D&O Discourse,” Lane Powell PC
- “The Root Cause of Skyrocketing Defense Costs,” Law360 (October 17, 2014)
- “6th Circ. Corporate Scienter Test Leaves Cos. Vulnerable,” Law360, Quoted (October 15, 2014)
- “Is the Big-name Firm the Best Bet?” Insurance Thought Leadership (September 26, 2014)
- “Tips for Avoiding Securities Litigation,” Insurance Thought Leadership (September 18, 2014)
- “When Not to Use Regular Counsel,” Insurance Thought Leadership (September 12, 2014)
- “Next Up for Cyber: Class Action Suits,” Insurance Thought Leadership (September 5, 2014)
- “High Court Sends Securities Class Actions Back to Basic(s),” Law360, Quoted (June 23, 2014)
- “Strategic Issues in Derivative Litigation Representation,” Law360 (March 3, 2014)
- “Public Companies, Beware! Safe Harbor Protection Requires Thoughtful Warnings and a Sophisticated Defense,” Seattle Business magazine, Co-author (February 2014)
- “Robbins Geller Case May Spur Change on Secret Witnesses,” Law360, Quoted (January 15, 2014)
- “Delaware Supreme Court’s Decision in Allergan Won’t Fix the Problem of Multi-Jurisdictional Shareholder Litigation,” Bank and Corporate Governance Law Reporter, Volume 51, Number 5 (January 2014)
- “Supreme Court Will Decide the Future of Securities Fraud Class Actions,” Agenda, Quoted (December 16, 2014)
- “Director Oversight of Cybersecurity: Answers to Key Questions,” Puget Sound Business Journal (December 13, 2013)
- “Is This the End for Fraud-on-the-Market Doctrine?” Law360 (November 20, 2013)
- “The Case for Emphasizing Arguments Against Falsity,” Law360 (October 16, 2013)
- “Safe Harbor Protection Requires Sophisticated Defense,” Law360 (September 6, 2013)
- “Effective Securities Litigation Defense Requires a High Thought-to-Action Ratio,” Securities Litigation Commentator periodical (Fall 2013)
- “The Problem With ‘Summary Scienter Analysis’,” Law360 (August 27, 2013)
- “SEC Says It Will Begin to Seek More Facts in Some Settlements,” InsideCounsel, Quoted (August 5, 2013)
- “Top Securities Rulings of 2013 Have Defense Bar Flying High,” Law 360, Quoted (July 16, 2013)
- “How to Solve the Flawed Confidential Witness Issue,” Law360 (April 8, 2013)
- “Director Service — Is it Safe to Serve on a Public Company’s Board of Directors?” Seattle Business magazine (February 2013)
- “Securities Cases to Watch in 2013,” Law360, Quoted (January 1, 2013)
- “A Potential Partial Solution to the M&A Litigation Problem,” Law360 (November 1, 2012)
- “Behind the Scenes of the SEC-Citigroup Settlement Drama,” Law360 (October 19, 2012)
- “Lessons From In Re Rigel Pharmaceuticals,” Law360, Co-author (September 19, 2012)
- “The Bank is Open: SEC Investor Protection Fund Poised to Pay Whistleblower Bounties,” Seattle Business magazine, Co-author (September 2012)
- “Is it Still Safe to be a Director of a Public Company?” Puget Sound Business Journal ADR and Litigation Q&A Column Titled “Ask the Legal Professionals” (July 27, 2012)
- “Lane Powell Hires Securities Litigator From K&L Gates,” Law360, Interviewed (June 25, 2012)
- “Citigroup Shareholder Derivative Litigation: A Hard Case That Didn’t Make Bad Law,” Securities Reform Act Litigation Reporter (June 2009)
- “Courts Should Increase Their Focus on Falsity Allegations (In My Opinion),” Securities Reform Act Litigation Reporter (May 2009)
- “Securities Litigation Developments: More From the Ninth Circuit, and a ‘Meaningful Cautionary’ Tale,” Securities Reform Act Litigation Reporter (March 2009)
- “Ninth Circuit Addresses Several Pleading Issues in Securities Class Actions,” Securities Reform Act Litigation Reporter (January 2009)
- “Securities Litigation Landscape,” International Journal of Disclosure and Governance (June 2006)
- “D&O Insurance Policies After Securities Lawsuits,” Corporate Governance Advisor (March/April 2004)
- “The Public Company Handbook, A Practical Guide,” Bowne Publishing (2002; 2003)
- “Recent Trends in Private Securities Litigation Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002: The Counter-Reform Act,” Glasser Legal Works Seminars (2003)
- “CEO and CFO Certifications Under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 and SEC Rules,” Practical Lawyer (December 2002)
- “Cyber Security and Data Breaches: The Big New Exposure for D&O?” Professional Liability Underwriting Society’s 2014 Conference, Las Vegas, Panelist (November 6, 2014)
- “D&O Liability Insurance and Litigation in the Current IPO Environment,” American Conference Institute D&O Liability Conference, New York, Panelist (September 30, 2014)
- “What Every Lawyer and Director Needs to Know about Cyber Security,” What Do I Need to Know? Practical Answers for Business Lawyers, Washington State Bar Association Business Law Section Midyear Seminar, Seattle (May 16, 2014)
- “D&O Regulatory, Enforcement & Securities Litigation Update,” 10th Annual Directors & Officers Insurance ExecuSummit, Uncasville, Connecticut, Panelist (May 13, 2014)
- “Recent Developments in and Strategies for Evaluating and Resolving Securities Class Action and Shareholder Derivative Suits,” White and Williams LLP, Lane Powell PC and The Weinstein Team Seminar for Bermuda Insurers (2014)
- “Best Practices for Claims Handling Between Financial Institutions and Insurance Carriers,” American Conference Institute’s 2nd Annual Financial Institutions Insurance Forum, Panelist, New York (November 21, 2013)
- “What is Covered Under a D&O Policy, Dealing With the Rising Costs of Defense, and More,” American Conference Institute D&O Liability Conference, New York, Panelist (October 22, 2013)
- “Cyber Security Risk: Best Board-level Practices to Understand and Address” Northwest Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Directors, Co-Moderator (September 17, 2013)
- “Failed Governance and Lessons Learned: Case Studies From the Headlines,” Northwest Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Directors, Co-Moderator (March 19, 2013)
- “Strategies for Evaluating and Resolving Securities Class Action and Shareholder Derivative Suits,” White and Williams LLP, Lane Powell PC and The Weinstein Team Seminar for Bermuda Insurers (2013)
- “Securities Litigation Developments,” Northwest Securities Institute (2012)
- “Strategies for Evaluating and Resolving Securities Class Action and Shareholder Derivative Suits,” White and Williams LLP, The Weinstein Team and K&L Gates Seminar for Bermuda Insurers (2012)
- “Who’s on First? Inside a Disclosure Crisis,” Northwest Securities Institute, Moderator (2010)
- “Ethical Dilemmas for Corporate Counsel: Representation and Privilege Issues,” Corporate Counsel Institute, Washington State Bar Association (October 2009)
- “Stock Options: Emerging Issues and Developments,” PricewaterhouseCoopers General Counsel Forum (January 2007)
- “Securities Litigation: Overview and Current Issues,” Successful Prosecution of Complex Business Disputes, Washington State Bar Association CLE (2006)
- “The New Era of Corporate Governance Litigation: Claims Against Directors and Internal Investigations,” Association of Corporate Counsel (2004)
- “The New Era of Corporate Governance Litigation: Claims Against Directors and Internal Investigations,” Perkins Coie LLP Seminar for Portland-area Corporate Counsel (2004)
- “Between the Pit and the Pendulum: Director Education and the Duties of Care and Good Faith One Year After Sarbanes-Oxley,” Annual Corporate and Securities Law Update (2003)
- “Proxy Season: The Reality of Corporate Governance Reform Sinks In,” PricewaterhouseCoopers General Counsel Forum (2003)
- “Securities Litigation After Enron: Analysis and Predictions,” National Investor Relations Institute (2002)
- “How the Enron Mess May Affect You,” PricewaterhouseCoopers General Counsel Forum (2002)
- “Sarbanes-Oxley and Other Earthquakes: The Corporate Governance Ground Has Shifted,” Perkins Coie LLP/Deloitte & Touche LLP Corporate Governance Seminar (2002)
Awards and Honors
- Selected “Local Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation, Securities (2015)
- Named as a “Washington Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers magazine, Securities Litigation (2004-2014)
- Avvo Rated 10/10 “Superb”
- AV Preeminent® in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ (2003-2013)
- Named as a “Top Washington Lawyer” in Washington CEO (2008)
- Named as a “Washington Rising Star,” Super Lawyers magazine, Securities Litigation (2003)
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, Board Committee, University Child Development School (2013-Present)
- Advisory Board Member, National Association of Corporate Directors, Northwest Chapter (2012-Present)
- Board of Advisors, Securities Reform Act Litigation Reporter (2008-Present)
- Member, Securities Committee, Washington State Bar Association (2003-Present)
- Co-chair, D&O Liability Conference, American Conference Institute, New York (September 30 – October 1, 2014)
- Co-chair, Cyber Security Event, National Association of Corporate Directors, Northwest Chapter (September 23, 2014)
- Member, Board of Trustees, King County Bar Foundation (2001-2009)
- Co-chair, Northwest Securities Institute (2004-2007)