Areas of Practice
Milo Petranovich has extensive experience in complex civil and corporate litigation, including substantial trial experience in cases involving securities fraud, antitrust violations, franchise, health care and corporate governance, as well as white collar criminal defense in state and federal courts. Milo has acted as lead counsel in a number of securities actions, both before and after passage of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. He has represented public and private corporations, and individual officers and directors in class actions, derivative actions and other corporate governance disputes. Chambers USA’s Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business said of Milo, “He is held in high regard for his complex civil and corporate litigation practice, with sources declaring him ‘a very ﬁne litigator.’ He has deep experience of cases involving corporate governance, white-collar criminal defense and securities fraud.” Milo is also recognized as one of the Northwest’s leading antitrust and trade regulation advice and litigation attorneys. He is routinely called upon to provide antitrust counsel to entities ranging from Fortune 500 companies to startups, providing solutions that establish compliance with the law without the loss of a competitive edge.
Admitted to Practice
- University of Michigan (J.D., 1976)
- American University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1973)
Practice Group and Specialty Team Memberships
- Co-chair, Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Director and Officer Liability
- Energy Litigation
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Bribery and International Anti-Corruption
- Securities Litigation
- White Collar Criminal Defense, Regulatory Compliance and Special Investigations
Representative Matters and Clients
Securities and Shareholder Disputes
- Represent CFO of publicly traded foreign company in class action security fraud claims.
- Represent company and its CEO in state law securities fraud claims arising from alternative investment programs.
- Represented investment firm in securities fraud and contract claims arising from collapse of Ponzi scheme and criminal indictment of scheme promoter.
- Represented CEO of publicly traded company in internal and SEC investigation of alleged accounting irregularities and in class action securities claims.
- Represented publicly traded company in settlement of derivative litigation alleging accounting irregularities in revenue recognition procedures.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest long term care providers in an SEC investigation of alleged fraud in raising more than $400 million, obtaining a rare defeat of SEC requests for injunctive relief and asset seizure.
- Represented CEO and largest shareholder in defense of hostile takeover of Oregon corporation, under Oregon’s Control Share Act, an anti-takeover statute.
- Represented CEO of publicly traded company on criminal charges of violation of Sarbanes-Oxley Act and securities laws in connection with restatement of company’s financial statements, and in related SEC and private civil lawsuits.
- Represented director and member of audit committee in class action lawsuit asserting corporate loss due to the alleged stock option back dating.
- Defended chairman of publicly traded corporation in ten-week trial involving derivative and direct claims for breach of fiduciary duty in connection with securities financing and private investment in public equities.
- Defended director and CEO of nutriceutical company in six-week trial against claims of securities law violations, fraud, and punitive damages.
- Represented one of the leading global investment banking firms in Enron litigation.
- Represented telecommunications company at trial against former CEO alleging excessive compensation and breach of fiduciary duties.
Antitrust and Competition
- Represent foreign manufacturers of electronic components in civil antitrust lawsuit brought by the State of Oregon.
- Represented domestic distributor in federal criminal investigation of SRAM price fixing conspiracy and in civil class action claims.
- Represented executive of paving supplies contractor in State of Oregon investigation of anticompetitive behavior.
- Represented Northwest aluminum companies in pursuing and resolving antitrust claims against multinational manufacturers and suppliers of carbon-based manufacturing supplies.
- Represented oil jobber in State of Oregon investigation of gasoline pricing.
- Represented major telecommunications company at trial of antitrust and contract claims arising out of deregulation of telecommunication services.
- Represented CEO of chemical distributor in U.S. Department of Justice and Canadian Competition Bureau investigation of price fixing and cartel behavior.
- Represented dental services provider in civil claim against dentists’ association and dental insurer alleging monopolization and unfair competitive practices.
- Represented executives of agricultural chemical manufacturer in U.S. Department of Justice investigation of price fixing.
- Represented fashion apparel manufacturer at trial against claims of price fixing and retail price maintenance.
- Represented major oil company on appeal of antitrust and price discrimination claims brought by former dealer.
- Defended multinational tool manufacturing company at six–week trial of former dealer’s claims of economic duress, fraud, and breach of contractual obligations of good faith and fair dealing.
Health Care Disputes
- Represented one of the nation’s largest system of hospitals in six–week trial involving claims of wrongful competitive conduct and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented community hospital in antitrust lawsuit against dominant hospital system.
- Represented manufacturer of medical diagnostic tests against claims alleging trade secret violations and breaches of fiduciary duties.
- Represent utility in arbitration of long term power supply contract.
- Represented major industrial power user in multi-venue litigation of regulatory, antitrust, and contract claims against energy utilities and energy traders arising out of California energy crisis and related market dysfunctions.
- Represented supplier in three-week arbitration of multimillion dollar demand side power purchase contract.
- “Managing Litigation Costs with Risk-Based Budgets — Connecting Price to Value,” Oregon Business magazine (November/December 2013)
- “Amgen’s High Court Leaves Defense Bar Reeling,” Law360, Quoted (February 27, 2013)
- “Ore. Is 1st State to Adopt Fraud-On-The-Market Theory,” Law360, Quoted (December 17, 2012)
- “A Tale (Or Two) Of Two (Or More) Forums,” Oregon State Bar Litigation Journal, Summer Edition, Co-author
- “Securities Law in 2014: Fraud-on-the-Market Theory Demystified LIVE Webcast,” The Knowledge Group/The Knowledge Congress Live Webcast Series (July 1, 2014)
- “Developments in Securities Litigation,” Oregon State Bar Annual Northwest Securities Institute CLE (February 4, 2011)
- “Recent Development in Securities Litigation,” 4th Annual Directors and Officers Liability Briefing Seminar (March 23, 2010)
- “Contribution Under the Oregon Securities Laws, Assigning Responsibility or Dividing the Spoils,” Oregon State Bar Securities Section meeting (January 20, 2010)
- “Preparing and Putting on Your Case, Part 1,” Mediation and Arbitration in Oregon, Oregon Law Institute (October 9, 2009)
- “TIC TAC DOUGH: Tenants in Common Investments under the Oregon Securities Laws,” Oregon State Bar Securities Law Section Meeting (March 18, 2009)
- “Developments in Securities Litigation,” 2008 Willamette Securities Regulation Conference, Willamette University College of Law (October 30, 2008)
- “Doing Business in China, Part I,” Doing Business in China: What You Need to Know Seminar (May 10, 2007 (Seattle), May 17, 2007 (Portland))
- “The Agreement To Arbitrate – What Should Be In It And Why,” Oregon Law Institute Mediation and Arbitration in Oregon, May 19, 2006
- “Recent Development in Health Care Antitrust: Dominant Hospitals and Exclusive Contracts”
Awards and Honors
- AV Preeminent® in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Named as one of The Best Lawyers in America®, Antitrust, Securities Litigation (2006-2015); Commercial Litigation (2015)
- Recommended by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Litigation: General Commercial (2008-2015)
- Selected “Local Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Securities (2012-2015)
- Named as “Oregon Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers® magazine, Business Litigation (2008-2011) (“Top 50 Oregon Super Lawyers,” Litigation 2010)
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, Oregon State Bar Antitrust and Trade Regulation, Securities, Business Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Sections; Former Chair, Antitrust Section
- Member, American Bar Association Antitrust and Dispute Resolution Sections
- Member, Multnomah Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Corporate Directors