Business Crisis Management and Emergency Remedies
Lane Powell’s Business Crisis Management and Emergency Remedies Team will deploy for a swift response to your business crisis in the Pacific Northwest. Our goal is a swift, cost-effective and strategic resolution of your business emergency by:
- Coordinating investigation, evidence preservation and communication strategies.
- Quickly pursuing effective legal remedies.
- Integrating with your team and leveraging your time and resources.
Early Investigation & Resolution
Resolving a crisis sooner versus later is the best business solution.
Our team has the reputation and bench strength to negotiate successfully with private parties or with the government. Prompt, targeted communications are essential. Early mediation, arbitration and other informal resolution methods offer a higher degree of privacy. But some disputes require immediate action in a court of law for the optimal remedy.
Early & Effective Remedies
Lane Powell’s team has a depth and breadth of experience in obtaining extraordinary pretrial remedies and emergency appeals (temporary restraining orders, injunctions, cease and desist orders and writs). Some examples of our recent successes in this area include:
- Defeating TRO motion against financial advisors in state court and successfully opposing computer fraud and abuse act claim resulting in the withdrawal of TRO motion in federal court. Edward D. Jones & Co. v. Lawrence, No. 2:14-01406-JLR (W.D. Wash. 2014) and No. 14-2-06249-2 (Snohomish Cnty. 2014).
- Defeating TRO motion seeking to prevent the sale of products under the consumer protection act (2014).
- Defeating TRO motions seeking to restrain foreclosure sales.
- Defeating preliminary injunction motion brought by “Boston” founder (Tom Scholz) against Fran and Anton Migliaccio (aka the Cosmos) who are former members of the iconic rock group “Boston.” Scholz v. Migliaccio, No. C13-1229 JLR, 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 118334 (W.D. Wash. Aug. 20, 2013).
- Defeating preliminary injunction motion against the sale of self-ligating orthodontic brackets in a patent infringement suit. World Class Tech. Corp. v. Ormco Corp., No. 3:13-cv-00401-AC, 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 112724 (Aug. 9, 2013).
- Obtaining temporary restraining order blocking the release of proprietary information and materials requested under state Public Records Act. HNTB Corp. v. King County & Kiewit-Massman, AJV, No. 13-2-19495-3 (King Cnty. Sup. Ct. May 14, 2013).
- Defeating a preliminary injunction motion brought by inventor to prevent the transfer of patent rights and a share purchase by an offshore company. Benson v. VSIM Patent Co., No. 12-01161 (E.D. Va. Mar. 1, 2013).
- Defeating two injunction motions brought by former employer to prevent competition by a financial advisor with client base of more than $450 million. Edward D. Jones & Co. v. Mark Anderson, No. 12-2-34362 (King Cnty. Sup. Ct. 2012).
- Obtaining a preliminary injunction on behalf of a restaurant company against a former franchisee for trademark infringement. Brinker Int’l Payroll Co. v. Duke Investments, LLC, No. 12-00033 (D. Alaska 2012).
- Affirming and reversing orders relating to the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and the Public Records Act. Ameriquest Mortg. Co. v. Wash. St. Office of Attorney Gen., 170 Wn.2d 418, 241 P.3d 1245 (2010); Ameriquest Mortg. Co. v. Office of Attorney Gen. of Wash., 177 Wn.2d 467, 300 P.3d 799 (2013).
- Defeating preliminary injunction motion against use of trademarks in a dispute between companies developing products related to micro-RNA. Mirina Corp. v. Marina Biotech, 770 F. Supp. 2d 1153 (W.D. Wash. 2011).
- Defeating a preliminary injunction motion brought by a disappointed bidder against the signing of a government contract. Seattle-Tacoma Int’l Taxi Ass’n v. Port of Seattle, 2010 WL 2283621, No. 64857-8-1 (Wash. App. Jun. 7, 2010).
- Successfully enjoined disclosure of confidential trade secrets in state mental health care contractor’s Request for Proposal sought by competitor under state Public Records Act.
Skilled in Diverse Emergency Solutions Across Industries
Lane Powell’s Business Crisis Management and Emergency Remedies Team has experience across industries and in a variety of topics, including:
- Abatement of suits and nuisances
- Attachment and garnishment
- Audits and investigations
- Company, corporate and partnership interests
- Employee misconduct
- Electronic documents and data
- Government actions (legislation, rules, directives, initiatives, audits, investigations and searches)
- Harassment of company employees
- Intellectual property (copyrights, patents, personality rights, trademarks, trade secrets and unfair competition)
- Internet (domain names and website content)
- Labor relations
- Non-compete agreements
- Priority disputes
- Privacy interests
- Product and structural failures and recalls
- Public contracts (protests against bids, solicitations and awards)
- Public records
- Receiverships and custodianships
- Reorganizations and spin-offs
- Return and seizure of property
- Removal of state cases to federal court
- Vessel arrests
- Defense of wrongful foreclosure claims (judicial and non-judicial)