Lane Powell is one of the world’s leading law firms focusing on aircraft transactions for both commercial airlines and business clients around the globe. Among the Firm’s clients are:
- Several U.S. and foreign airlines.
- A number of Fortune 100, Fortune 500 and smaller companies who either own or are contemplating corporate aircraft.
- More than 200 individuals who own business-class planes as a lifestyle matter.
- Key domestic and foreign leasing companies involved with commercial aircraft transactions.
- A select group of banks offering leasing and related financial products for the airline industry.
- Engineering and manufacturing suppliers to Boeing or Airbus or both.
Lane Powell’s aviation law attorneys are skilled at counseling clients in the early stages of contemplating an aircraft purchase, through the aircraft-identification stage — including evaluating the worldwide inventory of pre-owned aircraft — executing the purchase and then accepting delivery of the purchased plane.
Lane Powell attorneys have experience negotiating purchase agreements with manufacturers and lenders to achieve advantageous terms for the Firm’s clients. They also can negotiate maintenance service agreements with management companies to keep planes in good working order and even to supply the crews, when necessary.
Commercial Aviation Law
Half of Lane Powell’s commercial aviation activity is international, with its attorneys frequently serving as lead counsel for a principal party to the transaction, either on the purchase or the financing of an aircraft. The Firm also regularly acts as local counsel for United States and Washington state law.
Lane Powell attorneys often advise foreign airlines and their financiers on all aspects of U.S. federal tax and aviation law, as well as the implication of U.S. bankruptcy and insolvency laws, and state commercial and tax law. They further assist in:
- Obtaining required Department of Transportation economic authority and Part 121, 129 or 135 operating authority from the FAA.
- Advising individual and corporate aircraft owners and operators in regard to the operating structure for commercial charter — or for private, not-for-hire transportation — to comply with FAA regulations while meeting their business objectives.
- Counseling in the aircraft parts, maintenance and modification areas with contract, FAA compliance — including obtaining Supplemental Type Certificates — and financial issues.
Lane Powell attorneys have served as principal counsel in transactions involving aircraft ranging from small general-aviation aircraft up to the Boeing 747-800 and the Boeing 787 VIP aircraft. They also have advised aircraft operators and owners on issues involving domestic and international airlines operating rules and regulations, as well as on local airport and community noise restrictions.
Business Aviation Law
Lane Powell has earned a worldwide reputation for matching client requirements for seats-in-the-sky with the most advantageous aircraft and acquisition terms available. The Firm has long-standing relationships with knowledgeable aircraft brokers and financial institutions, enabling Lane Powell to find out what planes will be available and when, along with the ability to negotiate lease or purchase terms most advantageous for clients.
Lane Powell has long been recognized as one of the world’s leading law firms instrumental in aircraft transactions for business clients around the globe. Among its clients are:
- Nordstrom, American Seafood, Trident Seafood and a number of other Fortune 100, Fortune 500, and smaller companies.
- More than 200 individuals who own business-class planes.
- Leading banks offering leasing and related financial products for the aviation industry.
Lane Powell attorneys can walk clients or prospective clients through the acquisition process, and have been highly successful in locating new and suitable pre-owned planes — handling every phase of the purchase process through delivery of the plane to the client’s hanger.
Aviation and Aerospace Litigation
Lane Powell’s skilled litigation attorneys have decades of experience representing aviation businesses in lawsuits. They work with aircraft and aerospace component manufacturers, airport authorities, airlines, suppliers, repairers and operators in all phases of tort and contract litigation, ranging from multi-district air disaster and class action cases, to contract and aviation insurance-coverage disputes, to slip-and-fall lawsuits. Lane Powell’s Aviation Practice Group combines its substantial knowledge of the workings of the aviation and aerospace industry with top-notch litigation and trial skills to achieve the best possible outcomes, and provide the best possible advice to its clients.
- Negotiated purchase of two Boeing 747-400s for the prime minister of Japan to serve as primary governmental air transportation.
- Negotiated purchase of a Boeing 787 VIP business jet for a corporate client.
- Negotiated purchase of Boeing 737-800 and 737-900 jetliners for foreign-airline clients.
- Located and negotiated purchase of two pre-owned Boeing 757 jetliners for two individuals, with the transaction including installation of new engines and converting the craft from passenger to business-jet configurations.
Our Aviation Practice Group regularly represents airlines and leasing companies in connection with the acquisition of Boeing aircraft, and all aspects of their relationships with Boeing. We were privileged to advise Vietnam Aircraft Leasing Company for the aircraft featured in this video.
Lane Powell also is active in aviation litigation, successfully representing clients on contract issues, warranty matters and maintenance problems related to aircraft transactions. In addition, the Firm’s skilled litigation attorneys represent aircraft owners, operators, manufacturers, suppliers and repairers on actions ranging from multi-district air disasters to aviation insurance-coverage disputes.